What do i need to file my taxes?


Personal Information

o  Your driver's license and social security card

o  Your spouse's driver's license and social security card 

Dependent(s) Information

o  Dates of birth and social security cards

o  Childcare records (including the provider's tax ID number) if applicable

o  Income of other adults in your home

o  Form 8332 showing that the child’s custodial parent is releasing their right to claim a child to you, the noncustodial parent (if applicable)

Sources of Income

· Employed 

o  Forms W-2

· Unemployed 

o  Unemployment, state tax refund (1099-G)

· Self-Employed 

o  Forms 1099, Schedules K-1, income records to verify amounts not reported on 1099s

o  Records of all expenses — check registers or credit card statements, and receipts

o  Business-use asset information (cost, date placed in service, etc.) for depreciation

o  Office in home information, if applicable

o  Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040–ES)

· Rental Income 

o  Records of income and expenses

o  Rental asset information (cost, date placed in service, etc.) for depreciation

o  Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040–ES)

· Retirement Income 

o  Pension/IRA/annuity income (1099-R)

o  Traditional IRA basis (i.e., amounts you contributed to the IRA that were already taxed)

o  Social security/RRB income (1099-SSA, RRB-1099)

· Savings & Investments or Dividends 

o  Interest, dividend income (1099-INT, 1099-OID, 1099-DIV)

o  Income from sales of stock or other property (1099-B, 1099-S)

o  Dates of acquisition and records of your cost or other basis in property you sold (if basis is not reported on 1099-B)

o  Health Savings Account and long-term care reimbursements (1099-SA or 1099-LTC)

o  Expenses related to your investments

o  Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040–ES)

Types of Deductions

· Home Ownership 

o  Forms 1098 or other mortgage interest statements

o  Real estate and personal property tax records

o  Receipts for energy-saving home improvements (e.g., solar panels, solar water heater)

o  All other 1098 series forms

· Charitable Donations 

o  Cash amounts donated to houses of worship, schools, other charitable organizations

o  Records of non-cash charitable donations

o  Amounts of miles driven for charitable or medical purposes

· Medical Expenses 

o  Amounts paid for healthcare insurance and to doctors, dentists, hospitals

· Health Insurance 

o  Form 1095-A if you enrolled in an insurance plan through the Marketplace (Exchange)

o  Form 1095-B and/or 1095-C if you had insurance coverage through any other source (e.g., an employer, insurance company, or government health plan such as Medicare, Medicaid, CHIP, TRICARE, VA, etc.)

o  Marketplace exemption certificate (ECN) if you applied for and received an exemption from the Marketplace (Exchange)

· Childcare Expenses 

o  Fees paid to a licensed day care center or family day care for care of an infant or preschooler

o  Wages paid to a baby-sitter
Don't include expenses paid through a flexible spending account at work

· Educational Expenses 

o  Forms 1098-T from educational institutions

o  Receipts that itemize qualified educational expenses

o  Records of any scholarships or fellowships you received

o  Form 1098-E if you paid student loan interest

· K-12 Educator Expenses 

o  Receipts for classroom expenses (for educators in grades K-12)

· State & Local Taxes 

o  Amount of state/local income tax paid (other than wage withholding), or amount of state and local sales tax paid

o  Invoice showing amount of vehicle sales tax paid

· Retirement & Other Savings 

o  Form 5498-SA showing HSA contributions

o  Form 5498 showing IRA contributions

o  All other 5498 series forms (5498-QA, 5498-ESA)

· Federally Declared Disaster 

o  City/county you lived/worked/had property in

o  Records to support property losses (appraisal, clean up costs, etc.)

o  Records of rebuilding/repair costs

o  Insurance reimbursements/claims to be paid

o  FEMA assistance information

o  Check FEMA site to see if my county has been declared a federal disaster area